My editorial and ghostwriting rates are based on the rate ranges posted by the Editorial Freelancers Association for specific types of editing. When a prospective client asks, “How much will this cost?” the most realistic answer is, “It depends on your manuscript.” Page, hourly, and flat rate fees are based on 250 words per double-spaced page, Times New Roman, 12 point. I will edit your manuscript using Track Changes in Word or I will mark up hard copy if you prefer.
Typical rates are as follows:
- Author Coaching: $30 per hour of phone or in-person consultation.
- Developmental editing: $30-$40 per hour, depending on the complexity of the content.
- Developmental editing, pre-manuscript: $25 per hour of consultation.
- Substantive editing: $30 per hour.
- Copyediting: $30-$35 per hour, estimated at 5-8 pages per hour.
- Proofreading: $30 per hour, estimated at 5-8 pages per hour.
- Editorial assessment: $30-$35 per hour (typically a 10-page report).
- Ghostwriting: $30-$35 per hour for fewer than 20,000 words; $35-$40 per hour for a manuscript over 25,000 words or a grant proposal; estimated $40-$50 per hour for 25,000-50,000 words.
Depending on the subject and the complexity of the material, I may be able to offer a flat rate for ghostwriting nonfiction.
I will provide a letter of agreement describing the nature of the work and the fee for the work we propose to do together.
I offer a free two-hour consultation by phone or in person for serious prospective clients. Contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 505-699-9917 (cell). I live and work in Port Townsend, WA.